Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Don't think I want to stop?
Crilly,

I'd be lying if I said that I miss gambling, as I did enjoy parts of it, and after years of trying to control it. The only outcome once you've crossed the line into addiction is a downward slope. When not gambling at all, one bet is too many, and then 1000s of bets are not enough.

Ultimately it's your choice whether you gamble or not, for me, I would not put my wife and kids through the misery that it brought again.
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
I agree with Simmo on this one.

I think if we were all honest, we would all love to be the person who can put a bet on the odd football match, the Grand National and just switch off the desire until the next year and I also know that jealousy plays a big part in all of it as it seems unfair that the bloke at work can win on the National without knowing anything about horse racing and here I am a so-called sports expert not even having a bet on it.

However, unfortunately I have an addiction that means I cannot even have a £xxx on something due to what it will eventually lead to.

I know like many others I have convinced myself that I will be able to control my gambling however you are just prolonging the agony and depriving yourself of doing other things with your time.

I wish you the very best for the future.
Hi all. I'm still gambling but really starting to see the signs of it getting more progressive. I have been gambling every day for weeks now and although I haven't blew all of my money and I have been relatively sensible I can almost feel that it is on the horizon. The chemicals in my brain are working overtime trying to work out how I can exploit the bookies free bet offers too and I'm starting to get sick of it. I'm going to give it a break for a bit and see how I get on. Well done to you guys who have stopped gambling but I guess I'm not there just yet or I don't have the willpower.
Crilly,

I read this with great intrigue , I read every single comment and I enjoyed it and took something away from it.

I am a compulsive gambler and so are you , you know that you don't need telling , you don't need to come on here and justify your in control ...you do need to tell your wife and stop being selfish ...that's what it is mate !!
Life is hard we don't want to do the mundane so we gamble ...Your not in control , its not this bet that matters , its the one on a Tuesday when you have done your rent / mortgage , your wife is crying and hates you - so does the football bet really mean more to you than your family ? I bet the answer is no it doesn't - so remember that when you put your bet on or spin that wheel.

Its not always nice to hear but get yourself to a meeting you know you will be back at some point save yourself and family all that misery.

Stop gambling mate none of us can beat it we all try me included listen to what people have been through ...read all those comments again some solid experience in there.

Cheers and good luck

Inny077 a CP no bet sine my last meeting
Hi all, it has been quite a few months since my last post. Since then both my father and my step dad died suddenly on the same day at 59 and 54 respectively. I honestly thought that this would send me off the rails and that I would do something foolish and blow all of my money on the roulette wheel.
Although I have been very down (and probably put on too much weight) as a result I haven't succumbed although I am definitely still an addict. There's no getting around that fact.
However, I do like to have a gamble - especially on the football - and have found that by putting certain restrictions in place such as not having credit cards and letting my wife deal with money that I can gamble without causing loads of mayhem.
Thanks to my experience in GA I am a lot more responsible with gambling although every now and then I do spend a bit too much (mainly if I'm drunk) based upon my monthly allowance if you like. I would say this has happened perhaps three or four times in the last six months but the worst result was me not being able to go out the following week or be able to put football coupons on.
I guess once again this post is somewhat contradictory but that is how I have felt about gambling from the start. I just know that I do enjoy it and that I have safeguards in place that mean I can't cause any financial damage yet on the flipside there's part of me thinking that there's always that danger of totally losing control, which does frighten me.
My wife knows that I gamble - probably not to the extent that I do - but it is kind of something that we just don't discuss. We are getting on really well these days so I wouldn't say gambling is interfering with our love but I do know that if i really screwed up again she would leave me and take the kids.

Let's just hope that doesn't happen...
Personally I wouldn't like to live at risk in the hope that it doesn't happen. Don't get me wrong, I am as close to a bet as anyone else in recovery, but by not gambling I work on the program and improve my daily life. If I were still gambling, even with limits, there could be a time and opportunity when those limits could be abused. Does gambling and the thought of gambling still consume your thoughts?

One day at a time

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
Hello Crilly 81 Let me repeat once again that Gamblers Anonymous is about STOPPING gambling, not controlling it. Your statement that GA has made you more responsible about gambling is a clear indication that you have not taken the program to heart. If you continue to compromise the intent of the program you will eventually wind up in a lot more misery. Hope that does not happen to you and that you see the light. All the best. LewB-Woodbury Monday
Just lost over 2/3 of my monthly allowance 10 mins ago. When I'm winning I don't get greedy and cash out a reasonable amount but when I'm losing I think I can get this lost money back on roulette but hey ho what happens...i keep depositing and losing. Means that I've now got the whole of January to get through on very little money. Think I might do the dry January thing now mainly to save money. As per I've had a good drink and lost control which is something that I rarely do when sober but it's still not good and I know that when I wake up tomorrow - if I've slept - I'm going to feel awful and think I've got peanuts to last me until the end of the month. Only consolation is that I could have spent my last third of my allowance yet I haven't and that I haven't had access to any damaging things like credit cards, etc, but tonight has been a bad night.
I understand that you don't want to stop, but I am so grateful not to be in your position right now. The ups and downs and stress that gambling brought me nearly killed me. I personally feel you are living dangerously, and one day you might realise the safest thing to do is to stop altogether.

Wishing you well

Simmo