Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi
Hi everyone, I'm LJ and I am a gambling addict.  

I have known this for quite a while now, and have tried to stop numerous times over the past couple of years.  I started gambling around 4 years ago, and since then I have started a great new job and moved to a different area of the country.  What remains is the gambling problem.  It's been bad ever since it started.  I used to live with my parents and get paid weekly on a friday.  Every friday i'd go out and gamble all my wages.  It just went on and on, arcades, pub fruit machines, online.  Fast forward 4 years, I'm in loads of debt and have literally nothing to show for the fact i've got a well paying job.  My performance at work is suffering due to the depression gambling is causing me, but every time I go back to it.  I stay out going round the pubs drinking until late, and have to be up for work at 6 the next day.  Until that inevitable point in every month when I go skint and have to survive off nothing until my next payday.  I'm so ashamed.

I've tried a few times now to properly stop, I think the longest i've lasted is 10 days.  It always starts again in the same way.  I convince myself I can play pub fruits to keep the addiction at bay as I don't really lose on them.  From there, i'll sustain for a few days then go on a massive blowout and lose x figures in an arcade.  Or do my last x online, manage a win and repeat the cycle.  Until next payday.   I hate it so much, I need to change.

I've never tried GA, and i've decided that now I need to take that next step.  I have located a meeting happening this sunday at 7PM, so I will be going to that.  I just hope from the bottom of my heart that GA can give me that boost and extra help I need to kick this once and for all.  It's destroying every part of my life, physical wellbeing, mental health, friendships, relationships, everything suffers because of gambling.  I'm prepared to give this everything I've got, but i'm scared because i've tried before and it always ends the same way.  I need to quit.

If anyone wants to talk, or can give me any advice going into my first meeting, then please let me know.  

Peace,
LJ
Hi LJ,

Welcome to the forum, and GA. Thank you for sharing, I remember how valuable getting it off your chest was at first. As I was reading your post, I was thinking that a GA meeting will really help, so I was pleased to see that you are already making that part of your recovery.

Just take is one day at a time. Please keep posting.

Just for today I will not gamble, one day at a time.

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
Hi LJ,
Welcome to recovery. The GA meeting are full of people like you with two main priorities. To help themselves and others to stay away from gambling. Enjoy Sunday, don't be afraid, and please tell me about it after you have been.
All the best.
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
Hi LJ,

Just reading your post I could see myself and my traits within what you were describing as yourself!
10 days is nothing to shake your head at or give up, for compulsive gamblers like ourselves, 10 days is an achievement! Currently I’m 5 days gamble free, and as Simmo said above, I’m taking it one day at a time.
I myself have only attended one GA meeting so far, on Tuesday of this week, however I’m attending my second meeting tonight at 7pm. I remember the nerves as I pulled up outside the building, the unease in my stomach and the physical feeling of sickness, however, that’s because I was afraid the people inside were going to judge me. How wrong was I? I was greeted immediately by a man, who shook my hand and asked me a few general questions, offered me a cup of tea, and generally made me feel at ease. It’s refreshing to sit and listen to other people’s stories, and I hope you’ll feel the same sense of accomplishment coming out of your first meeting that I did!

Wishing you all the best, and look forward to hearing from you further!

One day at a time!

Danny
Thanks for all the positive responses guys, made me feel more relaxed about the meeting. I want to turn that 10 days into a lifetime. I'll be sure to post how it all went, and if anyone feels like chatting to me about their journey then please feel free. No gambling today.
To everyone who is quite new on here and to new to your recovery. It is nice to see you being able to find empathy with similar people in similar situations. It's okay long term members telling you that it will be okay and there is hope but seeing that you're not alone with others in the same situation can make your recovery easier. This is why I impress that compulsive gamblers find a home in a meeting in order to find other like minded people. Well done everyone for taking those first few steps.
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
Hi all,

I hate to say this but unfortunately I was incredibly weak. Once again I was able to convince myself I could play pub fruit machines and be OK, caved on saturday, a mere 2-3 days after deciding to quit. I know, it's pathetic. I won a bit on saturday, then went online and lost it all Sunday. I have signed up to gamstop, but for some reason I was still able to make an account somewhere and gamble, which is worrying. Overall I didn't lose, but it's the way it's made me feel. I'm so weak when it comes to this. I was too embarassed to go to the meeting.

I feel like posting here honestly is a good start, I'm open to any criticism, honestly I need to hear it. There's another meeting on thursday which I am certainly going to. I plan on going to the gym today, hopefully I can use the gym as some sort of outlet/replacement.

Take it easy all, I'll keep you updated.

LJ
Ok LJ, lets look at the positives...hopefully you still have a desire to stop gambling?

If so you have a chance...

Blockers such as Gamstop etc are great at making it harder to gamble, but i should never delude myself that they will stop me.....there are too many ways around them.....but that doesn't mean they arn't useful....sometimes that 10 minutes it takes to get around them gives a person chance to reflect....

I also keep getting to my meetings regardless and maybe the suggestion i'd give you is to ask about sponsorship and the 12 steps on Thursday?? This can really help a person if done right....

Keep posting...
Smartie xx
Meetings help, but meetings are only a small part to how GA works....

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

Hi LJ, did you actually make the meeting that you were going to attend?
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
I did not make the one on Sunday but I will certainly be going to one on Thursday.

I have a question - I feel like watching youtube videos of gambling is one of my triggers. Does anyone know if there is any way to block all gambling content on youtube?