Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Can I go to GA once a month?
Hi all,

I have a question which I hope you can help.

I have been to GA for about 2 months and I got my 30 Days key chain. I am now thinking of going to the meeting once a month.

Can you give me your opinion?
An interesting question given the tide of times....

In truth choice is yours....you were under no obligation to attend GA in the first place so its your call when you get to meetings...

I have so many questions....but i'll keep it to one....what does it mean to be a member of GA?

Maybe put this question to your group when you go next....

All the best....Smartie xx
Meetings help, but meetings are only a small part to how GA works....

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

Thanks for the reply, Smartie.

I think I should have phrased the question as this "Need opinion on going to GA once a month?"

But your reply is going to help me in deciding my frequency in going to the GA meeting.

I will definitely think of the question "What does it means to be a GA member?"

Thanks again.
To me it sounds like you are not willing to put in the necessary effort for recovery. If a medicine is designed to be taken on a once per week basis (some might argue once a day or even once per hour!) how can you achieve the same results if you take it once per month? You can take your medicine once per year if you want, but then expect our illness to eat you alive. Hope you get smart enough to take your medicine the right way Wish you the best. LewB-Woodbury Monday Night
Peaches and apples,
In my experience, compulsive gamblers who normally find a GA room tend to be there because they have had enough. The GA room normally helps us sort out our monetary problems quite quickly but it is only by continued recovery and abstinence that we are able to sort out the mess that our lives have become. You might feel that you don't need to go to GA very often, but ultimately that is when you need it the most. You need the constant reminder of who you are and where gambling could take you if you let it. Also, on the selfish side, if you aren't at the meeting, what happens if no one attends and a new member turns up and there is no one there? You might be the member who goes and the help you offer someone else might save their life.
Turn the question around and ask why can't I only go once a month?
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
Thank you all for the reply.

Smartie, I think to be a GA member means to participate in the meeting as much as you can into the best of your ability.

I go to GA meeting in the first place because I want to stop gambling. Now after about 2 months attending GA meeting, I find that I don't have the urge to gambling anymore. And I find the GA forums, especially this one, help too. I will see how each week goes before I make my final decision.
(09-10-2018, 01:45 AM)Peaches+Apple Wrote: Thank you all for the reply.

Smartie, I think to be a GA member means to participate in the meeting as much as you can into the best of your ability.

I go to GA meeting in the first place because I want to stop gambling. Now after about 2 months attending GA meeting, I find that I don't have the urge to gambling anymore. And I find the GA forums, especially this one, help too. I will see how each week goes before I make my final decision.

Thanks for considering the question..........

Did you ask your group what they thought of your quandary?

All the best
Smartie xx

GA is a 12 step organisation that offers the program that keeps me in recovery...

No, Smartie, I didn't ask the group.

This morning I re-considered my decision.

I gathered opinions from different sources and I read the yellow book regarding Gambler Anonymous (page 2). It says

Gambler Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from a gambling problem.

I pondered over this and I thought back my experience with GA. I came to the meeting because I wanted to stop gambling. I remembered my tears welled up in my eyes when I stepped into the room and how friendly the people are. And now, my urge of gambling is gone and I hope it stays like this.

It is the sharing of strength and hope with GA member that now I don’t have the urge and I thought I shouldn’t be that selfish. I have to continue to share my experience and strength so others, especially new member, can benefit, help them in recovery and help myself at the same time. So I now decided to go to GA meeting every week unless I really cannot make it.
Hi Peaches+Apple,

It's been a real pleasure to read this thread. You've come to the same conclusion as I, and it's the reason the fellowships work for those that stay. I stopped going to GA for myself a while a go, but by going and helping others, and being part of the fellowship, it keeps me from gambling. It works, so I will continue to do what works.

This really has made me smile today, thank you.

In unity

Simmo
One day at a time.  My last bet was 15/03/2016 and I hope and pray each day that it stays that way.
(09-10-2018, 01:29 PM)Peaches+Apple Wrote: No, Smartie, I didn't ask the group.

This morning I re-considered my decision.

I gathered opinions from different sources and I read the yellow book regarding Gambler Anonymous (page 2). It says

Gambler Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from a gambling problem.

I pondered over this and I thought back my experience with GA. I came to the meeting because I wanted to stop gambling. I remembered my tears welled up in my eyes when I stepped into the room and how friendly the people are. And now, my urge of gambling is gone and I hope it stays like this.

It is the sharing of strength and hope with GA member that now I don’t have the urge and I thought I shouldn’t be that selfish. I have to continue to share my experience and strength so others, especially new member, can benefit, help them in recovery and help myself at the same time. So I now decided to go to GA meeting every week unless I really cannot make it.

Bless no judgement on whatever decision you make....

Glad you are keeping an open mind...

All the best Smartie xx