Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today is day 1!
Today is day 1. The day I realise, I'm a compulsive and addicted gambler.  I've lied to myself since the age of 18, I'm 33 now.  I've always 'liked a bet'.  Football, horses, three card poker being my top 3!

Dont get me wrong, I always prioritise my bill's.. but my gambling is secretive, nobody knows, just me.. I have a 4 year old daughter and a fiance, they deserve better. 

Things got worse for me 2 months ago. I paid x and joined a WhatsApp subscription group, every day 'tips' - horses, football and greyhounds. For 2 months I've followed the tips religiously, losing and staking again and again ready for the win.  That's half the problem, my first day on the group I won x, chased that every day since. The group leader would say things like 'bad day today guys, it will improve'.  I found myself using credit cards to suddenly keep up the stakes every day.  

Today is day 1, I'm x in debt now, today I blew x in one go, like it doesn't even matter. I go on holiday next week, that money would of come in handy for my family ! I'm a dickhead, I'm ashamed of myself. 

I'm here, I intend to log my journey.. day 1 I've just paid £9.99 and installed Gamban on my phone - the only real source of my gambling. 

I need to get out of this, no more gambling for me!
(23-05-2019, 07:07 PM)Dazza85 Wrote: Today is day 1. The day I realise, I'm a compulsive and addicted gambler.  I've lied to myself since the age of 18, I'm 33 now.  I've always 'liked a bet'.  Football, horses, three card poker being my top 3!

Dont get me wrong, I always prioritise my bill's.. but my gambling is secretive, nobody knows, just me.. I have a 4 year old daughter and a fiance, they deserve better. 

Things got worse for me 2 months ago. I paid x and joined a WhatsApp subscription group, every day 'tips' - horses, football and greyhounds. For 2 months I've followed the tips religiously, losing and staking again and again ready for the win.  That's half the problem, my first day on the group I won x, chased that every day since. The group leader would say things like 'bad day today guys, it will improve'.  I found myself using credit cards to suddenly keep up the stakes every day.  

Today is day 1, I'm x in debt now, today I blew x in one go, like it doesn't even matter. I go on holiday next week, that money would of come in handy for my family ! I'm a dickhead, I'm ashamed of myself. 

I'm here, I intend to log my journey.. day 1 I've just paid £9.99 and installed Gamban on my phone - the only real source of my gambling. 

I need to get out of this, no more gambling for me!

Hi my name is Gary and I am a compulsive gambler. I am also 33 and i can relate to your story!My current partner is carrying my 1st ever child and that is my sole reason for wanting to quit for good...she sent me this poem she wrote:

You've heard about the crack cocaine Tearing lives apart I too have this talent I just don't look the part I'm the dirty little secret On many a man's mind He slips away to see me Whenever he has the time Behind closed doors he wants me He thinks of me a lot At the end of every rainbow I'm his shiny golden pot Sometimes it's in the open The wife looks on in doubt No matter what he has at home For me he still wants out Iv promised him the world you see Iv got everything he wants It's me who makes his heart race It's me who makes him pant Soon he will give up all he has And he will succumb to me He'll forget his kids, his job, his friends His entire family He leaves destruction in his wake To get into my arms Whatever price he has to pay He can't resist my charm So girl next time you wonder Where it is he's gone Why he's been so distant And why he took so long Why his face is flustered And why he looks so guilty It's not another woman It's me..The local bookie 

sticks in my throat everytime i read it..she first sent that to me in 2016 i have only recently quit as of 19/05/2019
I hope you find the strength to constantly return to your post to remind yourself what gambling has done to you and your family.
I also hope you can find a meeting where you will get support to help you abstain from gambling and post your recovery on here so others can see your progress.
Well done on making a stand.
Dazza85

Welcome to the Gamblers Anonymous website.

You story reminds me of the many times I used to think gambling could get me rich quick, and solve all my life problems out and bring eternal happiness to myself, but it never did just made matters a damn sight worse. It took me a very long time to get some meaningful help with Gamblers Anonymous through going too weekly meetings, reading the GA literature regularly and having the courage to change the things that I can.

I have made some progress with my own Journey, but still got a long way to go, I find helping other compulsive gamblers is a great insurance policy for my darkest moments, it rapidly brings light back into my life.

There is hope and help out there my friend, and you are not alone.

In Unity
Martin
My name is Martin, I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was 29.9.2017. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things that I can, and wisdom to know the difference.