Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First post
So this Is my first post on here.

I’ve been in denial for a couple of years now believing I could control my gambling however over the past couple of weeks it’s seriously starting to put a strain on me. I’m in debt, I lie to my partner and icebox had some pretty dark thoughts about just ending it all. 

I’ve considered attending gamblers anonymously meetings but I’m worried that if my work found out I’d lose my job.

I feel like I need help but if I try and access help it puts my livelihood at risk, catch 22.

I don’t know ignoring I’m here for answers or just to just finally acknowledge I’ve got an issue, either way I don’t know what to do next.
Hello, I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.
I have been going to GA for a very long time and I don't recall ever hearing about anyone ever losing their job because they attended a GA meeting.
Remember it is Anonymous, so what happens and is said inside a meeting remains inside a meeting.
If anything, especially in today's society, if your work did find out they should be supportive that you recognise that you have a problem and are seeking help. If you were ill with a disease they'd expect you to go to the doctor, so what's the difference?
Going to a meeting shouldn't have any effect on your job, your ability to get a mortgage or keeping a family together, but continuing to gamble will ultimately affect all these things, so please attend a meeting and see if you need the help you think you do.
good luck.
Chris.
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
(21-09-2019, 09:59 PM)Jameschristopherson Wrote: So this Is my first post on here.

I’ve been in denial for a couple of years now believing I could control my gambling however over the past couple of weeks it’s seriously starting to put a strain on me. I’m in debt, I lie to my partner and icebox had some pretty dark thoughts about just ending it all. 

I’ve considered attending gamblers anonymously meetings but I’m worried that if my work found out I’d lose my job.

I feel like I need help but if I try and access help it puts my livelihood at risk, catch 22.

I don’t know ignoring I’m here for answers or just to just finally acknowledge I’ve got an issue, either way I don’t know what to do next.
Hi

Thank you for being honest with your self and with us.
I use to fear some one seeing me in the recovery rooms.
Then it was explained that is some one sees me there they to have the same problem.
Our being honest and less afraid helps us feel comfortable in my recovery.
My recovery is about healing from the pains of our past.
It all starts from us taking baby steps one day at a time.
I am a non religious person and know that the recovery program helped me get healthier and healthier each day.
I am grateful that the recovery program made me aware of how unhealthy I use to be.
One day a person said at a meeting he was very glad that he was a compulsive gambler.
My reaction to that statement are you mad.
Then he explained that the recovery program made him aware of how unhealthy he was and that he could do some thing about it.
That with out him being in the recovery program he would have never found out how unhealthy he was, or found out how important healthy relationships were to him.
The other healthy people in the recovery program would make me understand my full potential in life and with relationships.

Love and peace to every one.

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham