Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you stay strong?
Hi Guys, 

I started gambling when I was 18 and I would just do little silly bets and football accumulators and I was in control of how much I lost and won. It was a hobby and I did it for fun. My uncle used to give me tips and we would do little bets on the horses and greyhounds as he used to train them. Was silly little £2-5 pound bets. 

When he died 3 years ago I went into a state of depression and anxiety and I took it out on the bookies. I was no longer betting little amounts but I started putting £100-500 on dogs and horses. I won over £7k in the first week of my higher stakes and then lost it all the week after. I then started taking out pay day loans and gambling on my credit cards. I’ve got myself into about £16500 worth of debt and I am on a debt management plan now. I stopped myself via Gamstop and I have banned myself from the bookies near my house and near my work. I haven’t gambled since February this year but the debt I’m in is getting to me as I’m 24 now and once I’ve paid my bills I have no money left and I still have this mindset what if I can turn my monthly wage into something big and hit the jackpot. I know I will not bet again as I know it’s the reason I’m in this position in the first place. It’s just depressing me never having any money to my name and everyday I find it hard resisting the urge to go and play some slots or bet on the horses. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to stay mentally strong?

Thank you for reading
Hi, My advice through experience is to try to agree a repayment scheme that is affordable. If you are left with nothing at the end of every payday it's going to affect you eventually and we all know the route you might take.
The debt management company you deal with should listen to your concerns and make sure you have something to live on. 

Give them a call, I'm sure it'll work out.
Chris.
How do I stop gambling?

Honesty.
Open-minded.
Willingness.

Chris.
Hi

You say that you took it out on the bookies, I do not think that was true.

For me my addiction was not a selfish habit but in fact a self destructive unhealthy habit.

Did my fears cause me to react in unhealthy ways when I could not cope emotionally.

In time I would understand when I was emotionally vulnerable.

My emotional triggers were my pains, my fears, my frustrations, my loneliness, and my boredom.

My addictions and my obsessions were a way of me escaping emotionally when I could not cope.

In time I would learn to heal my hurt inner child.

I would take very simple baby steps just one day at a time.

Admitting to myself that I was emotionally vulnerable was a sign of my growing strength.

In time I would not focus on money or gambling but focus on living on one thing at a time.

When I could not cope I would juggle from one fear to another, from one anxiety to another.

The healthy people in the recovery program helped me stay focused on one thing at a time, one day at a time.

The consequences of living in high levels of fears and anxiety is to go in to panic mode.

Once I use to panic I could not thing out clearly.

The recovery program is not about living in the past but to learn from it.

Love and peace to everyone.

Dave L

AKA Dave of Beckenham