Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What happens in a GA meeting?
When you arrive at a GA meeting for the first time, a group member will typically ask you the "20 questions"; you can find a copy of them on this website. The first part of the meeting is when the chair of the meeting goes around the table and ask for introductions; for example, my name is Martin, I am a compulsive gambler, and my last bet was on the 29th of September 2017. Then when the meeting starts, various readings from the "Questions and Answers about the problem of compulsive gambling and the GA recovery programme", more commonly known as the "Orange Book", will be read out by members. If there is a reading from the book you would like to read aloud, you're more than welcome to do so. Then sharing begins; there is typically no set order; a person will introduce themselves and start speaking; when they speak, no one else will talk. Your share can be about your gambling difficulties, resentments, events in your day or week, and recovery. If you don't feel like speaking your first time, there is no pressure to do so. Then, at the end of the meeting, the secretary will announce any open meetings, and the treasurer will inform the group of the donations and the current balance of the group's funds. There are no fees or due's for going to a GA meeting, but it relies on its member's contributions for the rent for the meeting place, tea, etc. If you don't want to put anything in or can't afford to, that's fine. Then the meeting closes with the serenity prayer; we stand up and say, "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference". Usually, the group secretary will ask for your contact details, and they should give you theirs, and they may message you in the week to make sure you're doing OK. If you don't want to leave details, that's fine, and there is no pressure to do so. This Gamblers Anonymous meeting is a typical example, but meetings across the country may vary slightly. You can go to as many weekly meetings as you want at different locations. If you want further information, you can contact info@gamblersanonymous.org.uk.
My name is Martin, I am a compulsive gambler, my last bet was 29.9.2017.