Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i'm 22 and overdrawn
Hi there,

Your circumstances seem a little bizarre to me as surely you have a right to independance? I am 22 myself and live in my own rented accomodation but I have to option of staying with my parents on the odd night if I wish (I guess I can count myself lucky). Is your problem that your parents are trying to run your life for you?

I have heard stories in the past of people gambling for reasons similar to this and frankly it is a shame because I believe that people have a right to make their own choices. I guess the best thing would be to move out but that is down to you and you only.

With regards to the gambling I will say a couple of things. Firstly gambling when you are down is horrible because like you said, it helps take the pain away when you are in the ''bubble'' of gambling. Nobody bothers you in the fantasy world and we come to believe that all our dreams can be made true by the press ofa button or the turn of a card. Sadly this not the case. If you feel you are compulsive in your gambling (and from my point of view it seems like you are) then it would be advisable to get to your local GA meeting and take thigns away from there. You will hear stories similar to yours and won't feel alone.

It sounds to me like your gambling is a sort of cry out for help in that you want to take up the reigns in your own life and not let others make up your mind for you. Gambling will give you a sense of security there because you are making up your own mind; you are choosing to do something for yourself. Obviously you now know that it is only going to end in disaster. Look at it the other way around. From this day forward, you can choose not to gamble. This is what I and many other compulsive gamblers out there are currently doing in our recovery; choosing not to gamble. The sense of self control is there and we are trying to progress forward in our lives.

I hope for your sake that you can rectify your home situation. Have you tried talking to your parents? Tell them what has happened but accept responsibility for what you have done. Have you told them that you think they are trying to run your life? Have you told them that you don't think it's fair about your brothers bringing girlfriends to the house but you're not allowed a boyfriend around? I would suggest that sitting down nd talking would be a good start.

GA is here to help the compulsive gambler who has a desire to stop gambling. We try help and advise in life situations wherever we can so if any of this makes sense to you please take it away with you and if not, you don't have to take it with you.

Stay strong and I wish you all the best in your recovery.

Edi

Messages In This Thread
i'm 22 and overdrawn - by deedeeem - 09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Re: i'm 22 and overdrawn - by Guest - 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Re: i'm 22 and overdrawn - by Guest - 12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Re: i'm 22 and overdrawn - by jimbob - 13-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Re: i'm 22 and overdrawn - by deedeeem - 14-08-2010, 03:30 PM