Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need to Stop!
Hey cayhill,
That is great news and thankyou very much for the update. I am going to follow this up by adding something to this and it is important that you remember this. Firstly I am happy to know someone has found a higher path and that is in turn making you much happier also.

Word however of caution as I remember this time in my life very clearly also...ie my first steps in GA. As the weeks went by/months in fact to arrive at a meeting to say the words "my name is Barrie and I have not gambled" gave me a huge sense of pride...this I said weekly for 6months. Slowly as I changed also the trust from my then fiancee changed and I missed a meeting, went away on business and really messed up, I call this "complacency" or "taking the desease for granted"

I got back on the programme but with her mind distracted for Christmas I really messed up some months later, it was the straw that broke the camels back and she soon left me.

Whilst I sit here writing this after 4yrs free with one slip to mention and believe me I have rebuilt my life the hard and lonely way I urge you to be aware of complacency.

See for you to be so used to the misery surrounded with living with a compulsive gambler to have the ecstasy of a suddenly changed man you also could become complacent.

I will only say to you I have seen many many people come and go from meetings never to return, back in the old rut of gambling and feeling there lives were normal that keep the meetings, make sure he keeps understanding and reading the orange book and at the first few signs of a sudden change, you must question this.

I am not trying to dampen your spirits and positivity towards him just trying to ensure his dedication to the fellowship, friends it brings and "new life" it brings doesnt change.

If you should after this continues decide to even have a holiday then his strength against this desease will wain. The first place to go on return is a meeting.

That all said and done please congratulate him from another CG that is now taking the 12th step and in that trying to help others to keep this devastating desease at bay on the fact he had the courage to go to GA.

I hope the GA programme, yourself and your children become his focus from now on and with the help, guidance and support of GA you will both lead very happy lives.

Best Wishes.

Barrie

Messages In This Thread
Re: Need to Stop! - by Barrieexgambler - 20-03-2011, 03:29 AM
Re: Need to Stop! - by Bos - 20-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Re: Need to Stop! - by Barrieexgambler - 22-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Re: Need to Stop! - by Bos - 25-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Re: Need to Stop! - by Barrieexgambler - 26-03-2011, 03:02 AM