Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New here - in crisis
Hello.

When I first started attending GA I was thankfully given a lift from a fellow GA member. It is something that happens quite often. There's a good chance someone at your local meeting lives near you, you just have to ask I suppose.

I too was on my own with nobody to look after my finances, I found it a struggle. The fact that I wasn't working and had minimal income made it slightly easier though. I never carried money around with me and hardly do still today. I have learnt to carry only what I need. For almost 2 years I never carried my bank card around with me. It stayed in my desk drawer. If ever I needed to go shopping, buy essentials, etc... I would take my card to the cashpoint, once there I would step back and ask myself "what do I needed this money for?", then proceed to only take out what I needed. Whenever I withdrew impulsively I would always get out more than I needed, which was not necessary, and this extra cash would only burn a hole in my pocket. So, as soon as I'd withdrawn the right amount I would take my card back home and back into my desk drawer, then I'd go shopping.

Having spare cash, or cash in my pocket doing nothing always used to scare me as I always used have a real urge to get rid of it. I suppose I was so used to the losing aspect of my gambling that it had become a phenomenon I had got accustomed to. To a degree I felt more at home without a penny in my pocket. I am still comfortable with that today.

I never self-excluded from bookmakers or got barring software for my computer. I suppose (for me and knowing the person I am) I was being realistic, if I wanted a bet nothing would have stopped me back then. I would always have been able to find a way round these measures. For sure, they make it a little more difficult, but for me if I never go near a gambling establishment then i will not be able to gamble. So far, nearly 8 years on, I have not logged on or gone in.

I still get the odd email from certain online sites but they go straight into my spam box now. They never get opened, I have no interest on their content as I no longer gamble.

I wish you well amelie. I got to where i am now through going to regular GA meetings (more than just once a week) and adhering to the guidance offered through the GA program and welcoming the support offered.

Big Dave (Eastcote/Uxbridge)

Messages In This Thread
New here - in crisis - by amelie - 30-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Re: New here - in crisis - by amelie - 01-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Re: New here - in crisis - by BigDave - 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Re: New here - in crisis - by amelie - 01-01-2014, 04:21 PM